LIVE WITH LYNNE AND CRAIG
British Culture Quiz
What do you know about the UK?
1. What’s in a shepherd’s pie?
a) shepherds b) pork c) lamb d) beef
2. Which three British women have held top leadership roles in the UK for a
combined total of 143 years and counting? (Clue - 2 past one present)
Answer: Queen Elizabeth II (69 years), Queen Victoria (63 years), Margaret
Thatcher (11 years)
3. How many Harry Potter books are there?
a) 6 b) 7 c) 8 d) too many
(7 - Philosopher's Stone (1997) Chamber of Secrets (1998) Prisoner of Azkaban
(1999) Goblet of Fire (2000) Order of the Phoenix (2003) Half-Blood Prince
(2005) Deathly Hallows (2007)
4. Which language that was not English was the official language of England for
a) Norwegian b) Gaelic c) French d) Welsh
5. What would you do with ‘bangers and mash’?
a) Set fire to it b) wear it c) eat it d) play with it
6. According to many foreign visitors, what is really annoying about English
a) Not enough toilet paper b) carpets c) lack of mixer taps d) scratchy towels
7. The Lion and the Unicorn appear on the Royal Coat-of-Arms. The lion
represents England, what does the unicorn represent?
b) Scotland b) Wales c) Ireland d) the Royal Family
8. Traditionally, what accompanies fish & chips?
a) salt and ketchup b) curry sauce c) ketchup and mayonnaise d) salt and vinegar
9. Which of the following is NOT a supermarket chain in the UK?
a) Tesco b) William Hill c) ASDA d) Morrisons
10. If you go into a pub in Britain with friends, how do you usually order your
a) Sit down and wait for the waiter b) sit down and put your hand up c) one of
you has to go to the bar, buy all the drinks, pay and carry them back to your
table d) serve yourself and pay at the end of the night
11. Who is the Patron Saint of England?
a) St. Patrick b) St. James c) St. Michael d) St. George
12. If someone in England says “Come and have dinner with us” what time should
a) 12-2pm b) 2-4pm c) 6-8pm d) 9-10pm
13. What’s the second largest English city by population?
a) Manchester b) Cambridge c) Birmingham d) Liverpool
2019 – London 8.96 m / Birmingham 2.93 m / Manchester 2.84 m / Liverpool 1.42 m
/ Cambridge 158,000
14. There are 6 inhabitants of the Tower of London that are still not allowed to
leave. Who are they?
Answer: the 6 black ravens
15. Which of the following is a British newspaper?
b) The Door b) The Frame c) The Wall d) The Mirror
16. According to experts, how often does the British accent change?
a) whenever there’s a stranger around b) every 25 miles c) from city to city d)
17. The Mousetrap, first performed in 1952, is a murder mystery play and the
longest-running West End show. Who wrote it?
b) Agatha Christie b) Charles Dickens c) Arthur Conan-Doyle d) George Orwell
18. What do you do with a Yorkshire Pudding?
c) Wear it b) eat it with sugar c) use it to hide unwanted foods d) eat it with
meat and gravy
19. Who invented the sandwich?
a) The Dame of Baguette b) The Earl of Sandwich c) The Duke of Roll d) The
Prince of Pasty
20. Which place is the Queen NEVER allowed to enter?
d) A pub b) The House of Commons c) Wembley Stadium d) Soho
21. What do Scottish people do on Burn’s night?
a) Have a special dinner & read poetry b) dress up in red costumes c) burn
unwanted furniture in the garden d) light fires