LIVE WITH LYNNE AND CRAIG
How Shopping Has Changed
Online shopping: We can buy products from anywhere at any time. More choice.
Do you shop online? What was the last think you bought online? Is there anything
you wouldn’t buy online?
What is e-commerce?
E-commerce (electronic commerce) is the buying and selling of goods and services,
or the transmitting of funds or data, over an electronic network, primarily the
internet. These business transactions occur either as business-to-business
(B2B), business-to-consumer (B2C), consumer-to-consumer or consumer-to-business.
Amazon, Alibaba and others have provided a centralized marketplace where
consumers can find and compare a wide range of products from different sellers.
• How has the rise of e-commerce impacted traditional brick-and-mortar retail
• Do these e-commerce giants have too much of a monopoly?
Mobile shopping apps: A shopping centre in your pocket! Consumers can browse,
shop, and make purchases on the go.
• What mobile shopping apps (if any) do you have on your mobile phone?
Price comparison websites: Dedicated platforms and websites allow shoppers to
compare prices and find the best deals across multiple online retailers -
informed purchasing decisions.
• Do you use any of these comparison websites (flights, car insurance, tech
Customer reviews and ratings: Provides (valuable?) feedback from other buyers to
help shoppers assess the quality and reliability of products.
• Do we trust the reviews? Are these ‘word of mouth’ recommendations more
powerful than traditional advertising?
Social media influence: The rise of social media platforms has given rise to
influencer marketing, where individuals with large followings promote products
and influence consumer purchasing decisions. (TikTok, YouTube, Instagram)
• Have you ever bought anything because of an online influencer?
• How have social media platforms influenced consumer behaviour and shaped
Personalized recommendations: Online retailers leverage data analytics and
algorithms to provide personalized product recommendations based on customers'
browsing and purchasing history-
• Is this useful or creepy? Do you allow tracking cookies and the sharing of
Click-and-collect: Many retailers now offer the option to buy online and pick up
in-store, providing convenience by eliminating shipping times and allowing
customers to avoid crowded stores.
• Is the convenience of online shopping outweighing the importance of supporting
How important is it to support local businesses?
What does the future of shopping look like?
Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR): Retailers are incorporating AR
and VR technologies to enhance the shopping experience, enabling customers to
virtually try on clothing, visualize furniture in their homes, or explore
• Drones delivering products instead of a mail service?
• More subscription services for food, cosmetics etc?
• SMART fridges sending an automatic order to your supermarket via the internet.
VOCAB REVIEW: Did you hear us use these words ?
Shoppers - buyers - customers - clients - sellers - Brick and mortar retail -
shop keeper - shop on-the-go - mobile app - online retailers - customer reviews
- ratings - feedback - service - word-of-mouth - slick advertising - trustworthy
- product promotion - online influencers - shaping shopping trends/behaviour -
click and collect - pick-up in store - home delivery - shipping times
TAMBIÉN TE PUEDE INTERESAR: