ship / sheep
s*hit / sheet
sit / seat
hit / heat
still / steal
sick / seek
live / leave
fill / feel
b*itch / beach
The word furniture is an uncountable noun.
Uncountable nouns always need a singular verb. The news (are)
is very bad.
You cannot add an s to an uncountable noun. Let me give you some (advices)
Uncountable nouns cannot be used with a or an. I had (a)
bad luck last year.
Decide if the
following sentences are right or wrong.
1. Can I have a chocolate?
2. When we went to Italy we had a terrible weather.
3. Simon told me an interesting piece of news yesterday.
4. If I want your advices, I’ll ask for them.
5. I usually have two toasts with my tea.
6. There was many traffic on the way to work this morning.
7. How many pieces of luggage are you checking in, sir?
Some nouns can be countable and uncountable, but
there is a change in meaning. Look at the following examples.
Would you like a chocolate? (from a box of chocolates)
Would you like some chocolate? (a piece from a bar of chocolate)
There’s a hair in my soup.
She’s got beautiful brown hair.
This is made of iron (the metal).
You use an iron (una plancha) when you do the ironing.
My brother-in-law has just opened a new business.
Mr. Smith is away on business.
Nearly all of the furniture in his office is made of glass. (the material).
Can a have a glass please? (un vaso).
It’s common to use the expression a piece of with uncountable nouns.
- That’s a very useful piece of information.
- Only one piece of hand luggage is allowed on the plane.
- Let me give you a piece of advice.
- How many pieces of cake have you had, Johnny?
following sentences with a /
an or some.
1. I’ve just bought
new furniture for the
2. Can I have glass of
3. Scotland has been having
really bad weather this
4. I’m afraid I’ve got
bad news for you.
5. I’ve been looking for
job for nearly 5 weeks.
6. Have you got paper,
please? I’d like to make a few notes.
7. That’s lovely piece
8. If you’re going to Edinburgh in August, you should book
9. Have you got iron I
I’ve just bought ... new furniture for the office.